Museum Ulm Logo Museum Ulm Logo Museum Ulm

Tue – Su 11 – 17 h, Thu 11 – 20 h. Opened on Ascension Day, Whit Munday and the Feast of Corpus Christi

Collections Banner Collections Banner Modern Art

Collections

The Beginnings

Founding director Prof. Dr. Julius Baum (1882–1959) incorporated the municipal painting gallery of contemporary art, which opened mere weeks before he took office at the Schwörhaus, into the museums’ collection. This inventory of contemporary art mainly contained works by artists from Ulm and the surrounding regions as well as from the Munich School and the Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design. Through acquisitions and loans, Baum actively expanded the collection into a gallery for modern art within the museum. Unfortunately, most of the collection has been lost: When the National Socialists started their campaign against ‘Entartete Kunst’ (‘Degenerate Art’), the works were either confiscated, sold abroad to acquire foreign currency, or destroyed.